Index listing

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Index listing

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:03 am

Originally posted by curriouscat

Would it be possible to incude some other fields in the index listing? Currently it defaults to id, name, DOB and DOD.

I use the index extensively when researching.

I would like to see marriage date and the 'to do' notes for the person.

The reason being that my list of people has got well beyond where I can keep track of where I have been. For some people, I am certain that I cannot find any more info. For example, if I have date of their birth, death and marriage(s) and the names of all kids and parents. I may then want to note that my info is complete. Or what I am missing. This is especially the case for offshoot trees, for example when adding people to a tree resulting from a ancestor's sibling.

Sorting on fields as well as Id and names could be useful. Eg, often I would like to sort on DOB or DOD. For example, finding all those males who died during a time of war can lead to a search of war records.

Could these (and possibly other fields) be settable in the preferences? (You might need to be adding tabs to those preferences soon).

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Index listing

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:53 am

Hi Geoff

I would prefer to keep the People Index as an index - but what I can do is to add more fields such as marriage date(s) and Todo info as new columns in the the comma separated (csv) output and then you can do your own thing in Numbers or that other spreadsheet app.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Index listing

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:08 am

That will be great. I've had a look at the new csv with parents. That is great. A very good move.

I've had further thoughts about marriage date and partner. My request for a marriage date would only work if there was only one marriage. :)

Getting too complicated.

What you have done is fine.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Index listing

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:17 am

Hi Geoff,

In V2.259 I have added columns for

SpouseId(s)
Spouse Name(s)
Marriage Date(s)
Marriage Year(s)
Marriage Place(s)
ToDo Items

If more than 1 spouse I have simply wrapped it so each spouse appears on a separate line, which may or may not work for all spreadsheet apps.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Index listing

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:27 am

Perfect. I really like all those fields. It makes it much easier to see at a glance where the info missing.

You do good work.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Index listing

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:44 am

Hi geoff,

I could also add columns for the children but that would be redundant.

Maybe you (or someone else) may like to write a few spreadsheet macros - using the people's IDs one could generate extra tables (in Numbers?) to ...

- whatever

Keith