Option to auto-open TWO windows at launch

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:05 am

Originally posted by Douglas

Presently, the people index manually can be positioned anywhere on the screen for example, I like to position the people index alongside/adjacent to the main program window. I'd welcome a feature that would enable users to open the main program, then open/resize/position the index window wherever desired on the screen, and then save the resulting two-windowed configuration so that, when the program is launched, both the main and index windows pop up together, without manual intervention. This would be akin to functionality found in a competing program (MFT), also akin to what PC users find with TMG. Those who welcome this function could invoke it at will those wishing for a single window interface would have the option to ignore/not avail themselves of this proposed feature. Would you be amenable to including this feature in an upcoming release? Thank you!

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:09 am

Hi Douglas

Done in V2.256

Because the user can open more than two databases at once and maybe on different displays I have implemented it as follows.

If the frame of the People Index window overlaps its parent document window then next the time you start iFamily for Tiger and then activate the People Index then it is displaye exactly where it was previously before you quit from iFamily for Tiger.

If the frame of the People Index window does not over lap its parent document window then it is centered within the main document window.

There is no automatic invocation of the People Index when you start iFamily for Tiger or open a new database

iFamily does not remember the position of the people index window for each database so when you open multiple databases the position of the people Index may not be exactly where you expect it to be but how often do you open multiple databases and their Prople Indexs at the same time?

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:09 am

Originally posted by Douglas

Keith,

Thank you for the timely and thoughtful reply. I am one of those " dual-monitor" people notwithstanding two monitors atop my desk, I have no interest in opening two databases concurrently. Conversely, one particular practice to which I DO adhere--consistently--is the practice of keeping the People Index AND main window (of my single database) open at ALL times. Under the status quo, anyone wishing to re-create the screen layout of a prior session is compelled to manually re-open and reposition the Index window to return to the desired desktop layout, which is inefficient.
The proposed " save-screen-layout-between-sessions" would perhaps require minimal effort to implement and would seem a welcome enhancement to this fine program.