Birth, Death, Marriages now burials

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:25 am

Keith Wilson wrote:
annemac wrote:Hi Keith
Seeing as you have on the person page their birth, death and marriage dates, places, and also a cause of death, could we have down near that cause of death or after death area an area for burials.
e.g. 20 Mar 1887 Milbong Lutheran Cemetery, Qld.
Anne
Hi Anne,
Very sorry but I need to put this one to the vote.

If we add Burial to the Person's tabview then we also must also add Cremation and Baptism and Christening and Bar Mitzvah and Baz Mitsvah and ...... and we end up by including the whole list of personal event types so that everyone is happy. And you already have a number of panels that display all the events for a person.

So the simple answer to your question is no.

On the left of the Person's name there is a small button that allows you to quickly view, add or edit events other than birth and death.

But I guess the users are always right so they should be allowed to have their say on this one.

As Benjamin Franklin said " 'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." But he forgot to include being born which is a necessary pre-condition for the other two to events to occur.

Keith
How about the following:

Under the death date and place fields I can add a display only field (non-editable) that contains a string like CHR 11-Mar-1943, BURI 12-May-1989, ...
for a selected set of Event Types - maybe with a button that takes you to the editing panel. Will include something like that in V1.209 and you can then tell me if this is OK as a compromise.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:57 am

annemac wrote:Hi Keith

Perhaps I was just being lazy, and wanting it all on one page. I agree, you cannot put them all on the same page, too cumbersome.

I will wait for the vote. I think the non-editable display for burial would be all that would be needed. Christenings and others etc not necessary. Do not want to upset the layout and view of iFamily as it is, as it is great.

Cheers
Anne
Anne,
You are entitled to want be efficient - machines are supposed to do the work - which is why why we pay lots of money for them.
Please wait for V1.209 and you will see that simply displaying the event string plus an extra button makes life a lot easier. Many thanks for the suggestion - looks good to me.
Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:40 am

Originally posted by annemac

Hi Keith

:D Thanks for taking my request and thoughts on board, look forward to seeing the new version.

Cheers

Anne

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:05 pm

pmarsch wrote:Would it be possible to make the events fields on the individual screen user configurable? Then each user could decide which events are the most important to show?

Fantastic program. The best I've used in years.

Pete
Thanks Pete,

At the moment (V1.214) the events panel displays the events of the selected person plus the births and deaths of his/her parents, children and spouses, provided they occurred during the selected person's lifetime.

In V1.215 you can toggle on/off the display of the events for the parents, children and spouses.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:13 pm

Originally posted by perthling

putting it to the vote... my vote would be 'maybe'.
understand we can't take up too much screen space, and where do you draw the line.
but baptism / christening / burial and three really commonly use event tags (for me anyway), and it currently take three clicks of the mouse to get there (select event tag, select '+', select event type).
if there could be a short-cut button to add event directly from 'name' or 'family' tab view, that could be a happy compromise?
~luke