GEDCOM Options

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

GEDCOM Options

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:20 am

Neville wrote:It would be good to have an option to export a GEDCOM file of " direct" Ancestors (which is what I post on " Genesreunited" . Parameters would be: Number of generations, and Privacy filter for living people.
Hi Neville,

I have added a new menu option File Gedcom Export Focal Person + All Ancestors.

The output includes direct ancestors only - it does not include any step, adopted or foster relationships.

You can set the number of generations but it does not currently filter private information.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

GEDCOM Options

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:30 am

Originally posted by Neville

Thanks for all the excellent options added to GEDCOM exports. :)
The one outstanding problem I have is two 2_Rel lines for an individual.
I am told that this is not valid for GEDCOM files. (At least not acceptable by GEDitCOM) :(
It prevents a file from being uploaded to sites like genesreunited.
(My current work around it to import the file to Renuion (which drops those records) and then re-export it.
Neville

With the originator's approval the attached screen snap from GEDitCOM has been removed by the administrator (me) - I try to avoid looking at other genealogy apps in case it corrupts my brain and also so that I can never be accused of plagiarism. Nothing wrong with GEDitCOM - its a great app - it is one of the best.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

GEDCOM Options

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:35 am

Originally posted by Neville

A suggested enhancement for GEDCOM export.
File naming
I suggest that when exporting a GEDCOM file that is not " ALL"
that the surname of the focal person be used as the filename
e.g. THOMAS.GED instead of ALL_1.GED

Neville

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

GEDCOM Options

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi Neville

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

1. Have added an option to Include / Exclude all custom tags (they start with an underscore) except for _MILT which is a defacto standard for Military events.

2. In the process I found and fixed a bug in Export Pictures - it can only occur if you have moved the iFamilyForTigerData directory and then only under certain conditions. I don't think anyone has reported it, but if they have then my apologies for not attending to it earlier.

3. I will have a look at renaming the Gedcom output file names. I assume that when you refer to 'ALL' that this is a placeholder for the name of the database. The default is to use the name of the database suffixed with _1, _2, _3, ...

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

GEDCOM Options

Post by Keith Wilson » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:46 pm

Originally posted by guyholmes

I know that we touched on this once before, but not sure I ever really got my point across. What I'm after is similar (I think) to Neville above. Every so often I meet a contact on Genes Reunited or Ancestry (where ever) and I want to share my data with them, but don't particularly want to give them my entire tree of 900 people - Including my wife's family tree etc.

The Focal Person and all ancestors is good, but does not give you the extended relations such as siblings, aunts uncles etc of various ancestors. As we discussed before, Focal Person and all related people, will on my tree for instance, give you everyone as I do not have additional strings or dynasties that I am not related to.

I guess what I am after is the ability (If I can extend the 'tree' metaphor) is to be able to 'detach branch' and be able to take a focal person, break them away from their spouse and children, and be able to present their family tree together with their ancestors siblings etc. Then be able to export this as a GEDCOM.

I am trying to work out if this will cause all sorts of problems down the line and what marriages you could include and what can be safely excluded so as not to populate the new 'pruned' tree with lots of vaguely connected people that aren't really connected by blood, but I think there probably is a way ???

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

GEDCOM Options

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:20 am

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the feedback.

How about if we build a function that makes a copy of the database - so we do not disturb the original database. In the copy of the database the user then prunes the relationships by right clicking and using Disconnect Person.

So if you do not want your wife&#39s ancestors in the export, you disconnect her from her parents.

This will leave you with a mini-dynasty that contains just the people to be exported. You can then use menu option Gedcom Export - Focal Person + All Related People.

Because you are working on a copy of the original database you could also make a few other changes before exporting.

In the meantime I suggest that you use Finder to make a copy of the appropriate FtkSql file and then try the above pruning idea on the copy.

Let me know if my mini-dynasty idea (in a copy of the database) does what you need.

Keith

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

GEDCOM Options

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:39 am

Originally posted by guyholmes

Yep, that works pretty well. Not sure why I didn't do that before. Its certainly something I have needed a few times but not sure how much requirement there is amongst users for such a feature ???

I would say, it took me a while generally to get my head around the way iFamily saves and maintains a database. I guess I am just too used to seeing a File - Save option and being allowed to keep a couple of versions backed up, rather than using the Finder to duplicate and maintain my archived versions. Now that I'm used to it, I like the fact that my database is updated and maintained with every entry, but I don't know if you've had comments from others about this slightly different way of working ?

Anyway, in answer to the question, yes, disconnecting an individual from their parents enabled me to focus on the related people that I wanted.

Thanks as always

Guy

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

GEDCOM Options

Post by Keith Wilson » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:00 am

Each time you make a change iFamily for Tiger
  • Sets up a command to do a deferred save.
    Refreshes the user interface.
    When the interface has been redrawn it saves the changes and minimises the memory usage.
Keith