Searching Notes

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Searching Notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Originally posted by jimwinfrey

Starting with 2.014 (I think) a gedcom import placed event addresses in the Note for the event in iFamily. Fundamentally this is a good way to handle both addresses and places. It keeps places " pure" but allows us to record where in a particular place the event occurred. Now we need a way to search Notes when we're looking for all folks who are, say, buried in the same cemetery. Or, if we are looking for all folks buried in whatever cemetery in a particular town. These kind of searches and the reports I get from them help to form my research plans.

Jim

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Searching Notes

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:02 pm

The toolbar Search Field

At the right hand end ot the toolbar there is a Search Field. Click on the Q at the start of this field and you will get a menu of filters that allows you search:

Names
Names & Titles
Personal Notes
Personal Comments
Birth Place
Birth Year
Death Place
Death Year
Cause of Death
Marriage Notes
Personal Events Notes
Numeric Id
Reference No
Unconnected People

This search field works on " words that start with" so to find every occurrence of Buckingham Palace in the Event Notes you would select Personal Event Notes and enter Buck Pal

It looks like you also probably need an All Event Places search. Anything else?

Event Names and Event Places

The menu options for Event Names and Event Places also provide some other tools - mainly for editing Place names and Event Names so that thay are more uniform. You can also use these dialogs as search tools and then select a person to be the Focal Person of the context diagram.

Reports - Filtered People

You can also use combinations of filters to generate a report using the menu option Reports - Filtered People. It's not real fancy but you can always try it and let me know what enhancements you would like.

Regards, Keith Wilson