Suggestions from a newbie

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Suggestions from a newbie

Post by Keith Wilson » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:54 am

Originally posted by sportbiker

First, I want to thank Keith for giving me extended help in importing a gedcom that didn't always play by the rules. Now, in working with the program (1.214) for a short while, a few enhancement ideas come to mind. Apologies if what I'm requesting is already implemented and I'm too new to know how to access the features, or if these feature requests are reruns. In no particular order...

1. Ability to choose the label for one's significant-other on a person-by-person basis.
For married people, " husband and wife" is fine, but for heteros co-habitating or a gay couple, " spouse" or " partner" is more appropriate. The existing ability to make a global change is a start, but person-by-person granularity would be better.

2. Ability to create a diagram linking the Focal Person to any other particular person in the dynasty.
I was looking at a context diagram showing a branch of my extended family but couldn't figure out how to get from one of them to me. They are linked because the Relatives pane for one of them listed my father as a nephew. Creating an ancestor/descendent diagram also failed to get me from there to here.

3. Ability to search for a name within the Family Relatives and Relatives panes.
As an alternate, being able to click a column header to sort would suffice, I think.

4. Ability to diagram an entire dynasty.
It sometimes seems like I'm looking at parts of an elephant but can never see then entire beast and how the parts fit together.

5. Ability to see all generations within the Family Relatives pane.
Currently it's seemingly limited to the range from grandparents to great-grandchildren.

6. More granularity of relationships in the Relatives pane.
For example, identifying cousins once removed or twice removed, or identifying second-cousins or third-cousins.

7. Ability to set colors (or colours, for you Commonwealth types) in the ancestor/descendent diagrams, especially root-person colors.

8. Ability to set colors for selected person/ancestral persons/non-ancestral persons within the context diagram.

9. A " Scale to fit: x by y pages" option for a/d diagrams. Microsoft Excel's implementation could be a model.

Thanks for your consideration.