Directory setting for Images

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Directory setting for Images

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:34 am

dbgnvan wrote:Suggestion 1. I am downloading copies of the images of any passenger list, BMD, census etc. I am keeping these in a specific directory on my computer and would like the Perferences to allow me to indicate this.

Suggestion 2. I would also like the option for iFamily to keep a copy of the image vs. the alias. Then I can move my image directory if I want to with losing all the links to them. I would suggest this be an option with a bit of explanation re the pro's and con's.

With the way things are seeming to be going, family history will be massive collections of images of source records, with one image being used for 1 - 10 people perhaps. Being able to pull these images with notes to create a 'story' about any family member will be my goal. Caution - I am a brand new user and don't know what I don't know :-)
Re Suggestion No. 1

In V1.209 the Finder button in the Picture Editor dialog will remember the directory of the last image retrieved using this Finder button. It is saved in the user preferences for iFamily for Tiger.

Re Suggestion No. 2

If the original picture file is in a directory that is in a subdirectory of your Home Directory
then an alias file will be created in the iFamilyForTigerData/Pictures directory
else
the original image file will be copied to the iFamilyForTigerData/Pictures directory.

So to avoid having to use the Copy button every time - you put the original images in a directory that is not owned by your Home Directory.

If iFamily for Tiger finds a suitable file is already in the iFamilyForTigerData/Pictures directory then it will use it and will not make a new alias file nor copy the original file again - the word suitable means it has the same name and the same contents.

The iFamily for Tiger database stores the filename, crop rectangle and the thumbnail image. If no cropping is done then the thumbnail image is a thumbnail of the whole original image.

Keith