HTML-Six Generation Descendant Table

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
mtpaper

HTML-Six Generation Descendant Table

Post by mtpaper » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:44 pm

The HTML reports are, in my mind, the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe even better than sliced bread.

Other apps generate reports, but they were clumsy and too much prose and not the way my eyes want to look at things.

I don't know if this is easy or difficult, so I'll just throw it out....

HTML report includes a link to: Six Generation Ancestor Table.

I would like an additional link for: ## General Descendant Table.
Because that's how I think of the family.... I'm meeting all distant relatives of mine via the web; we're all from the same folks back around 1900, but have never been in touch. Since we're all descendants of Tom and Mary, I like to see the table showing the generations.

Possible?
Complicated?
Am I the only one who thinks it would be a nifty addition?

Thanks for everything -
Marion in NY

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Marion

I suggest that some 6 generation descendants tables would be very large. My 3gGrandfather had 84 grandchildren - extend that for a few more generations and you have the population of a whole town (city?).

And generating such a chart for everyone in the HTML file would be ...

However I think you can already do some of what you want as follows.

1. Use the Descendants Diagram to generate a PDF file for the 3gGrandfather (or two or three of them).

2. Drag the PDf file back into iFamily onto the 3gGrandfather.

3. Generate the HTML output making sure that you include the originals of all the images.

4. In your web page, when you click on the thumbnail of PDF file it will open in your web browser's default PDF viewer.

Keith

mtpaper

Post by mtpaper » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi Keith -
the Descendants Diagram is, indeed perfect.

I am not planning, currently, to publish the html pages to the web.
I am planning to make DVDs to give to cousins at Thanksgiving.

ok - I think this is perfect - I understand exactly what you're suggesting

In step 3, in addition to including Original Pictures, I need to Include All Pictures of Each Focal Person.

Only complication is that the pdf's don't open; I have Apple's preview as my default PDF viewer....

JPG files do open.

I'll keep playing to see what I'm doing wrong

Thank you -
Marion in NY

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:18 am

Hi Marion
I wrote:4. In your web page, when you click on the thumbnail of PDF file it will open in your web browser's default PDF viewer.
PDF files work fine for me but they open in Safari, not the default PDF application. Safari may (or may not) apply its current font size and expand it to full scale - and then all you will see is the top left corner of the Descendants diagram which may have nothing in it if the PDF file is large.