Closing Windows

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
BobCutler

Closing Windows

Post by BobCutler » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:56 am

Keith -

Your program is outstanding and I look forward to every new release with anticipation. However, as an Old Timer (I'm 74) and as an Old Time Mac User (since 1984 with a 128k Mac) I find that keyboard commands have become almost automatic for me.

The windows resulting from executing the following commands cannot be closed using the usual keyboard commands, Command-W or escape. Perhaps you have a reason for not implementing this, but I fail to see one. The windows can be closed at any time by using the Close button or the Window Close button in the title bar, if it exists, but this requires reaching for the mouse.

1. Preferences
2. People Index
3. People > Prune Minor Dynasties and Unconnected People ...
4. Events > Calculate Birth and Death Dates > Calculate Birth from ...
5. Events > Calculate Birth and Death Dates > Calculate Death from ...
6. Events > On This Day ...
7. Reports > Dynasties Report ...
8. Reports > Pictures- Where Used ...
9. Project Views > Combine Views Using AND/OR ...
10. When selecting a person with more than one spouse from the Family or Ext. Family or Relatives panes by clicking on the asterisk, a window comes up to "Select a Spouse For xxxx"
11. In the Image Edit Window, pressing the Metadata button brings up a small window containing the metadata of the picture. Pressing Command-W causes the Image Edit Window to disappear but leaves the Metadata window behind. Pressing Command-W again executes the File menu command and tries to close the main window.

Please take a look at these when you have the time (!!!) but please understand I don't consider this an urgent item on your to-do list.

Regards,
Bob

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:07 am

Hi Bob

Many thanks for your detailed list of windows that do not respond to Cmd+W.

I will investigate all of them and make the necessary changes in the next release of iFamily, however, some of the panels are "floating child panels" and the current Apple Human Interface Guideline (HIG) says that such panels should be closed using the Escape key rather than Cmd+W.

In V2.506 I have changed all of the panels that you listed to close when Cmd+W is received, regardless it says in the current HIG. For the three "floating child panels" you need to press Cmd+W twice - once to close the child panel(s) and again to close the parent panel.

Keith