Place Listings and Editing

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Alprunty

Post by Alprunty » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:45 am

Ok... here's one thing I miss from Legacy and Roots Magic from my WinDulls days. (I'm a recent convert to the Mac).

Both softwares had the capacity of listing ALL of the locations in your database and they gave you the option of editing them.

For instance I have

Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, USA for some instances and Knoxville, Tennessee, USA for some others and Knoxville, Knox, TN, USA for others.

I would like to merge all the location names into Knoxville, Knox County, Tennesse, USA.

It would be nice to be able to scan a listing of ALL locations so that I can quickly edit them. Legacy takes it a step further by allowing us to enter a description of the location and attach pictures to the location. Very handy with Cemeteries.

Another feature I miss is recording the Lat/Lon of the location and having one click to Google maps.

I would also (know this would take a lot of work) like to have the capability of being able to link to Wikipedia for the locations (or copy it into a "story" for the location... now there's an idea... generate a story about the location where it would snag the google map, and format out a story showing who's Born, who's Buried, who was Married and who Died in each location... now that would totally rock.

iFamily definitely has me thinking different about my family history... you've really inspired me with your work.

Allen

alid62

Post by alid62 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:00 am

I believe iFamily can already do some of what you are asking.

If you open the "Event Places" pull down under "Events" it lists all the places you have entered. In the the example you give, enter Knox in the search field, that brings up all the places with that combination of letters. Decide which version is the one you want and change the others to it. IFamily then automatically 'moves' events and they all end up under the same place.

In the same table (and several others) you'll see a "map" button. Hit that and it links directly to Google maps. You can then save that to a 'My Map'. In a previous version this process automatically generated the lat and long for you and saved it back to iFamily. That doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but I don't know if it's an iFamily issue or a Google maps issue. There's also a lot of discussion about iFamily and Google maps in that bit of the forum.

I agree that it would be great to be able to link pictures to places rather than just to people. I remember being able to do that in the long gone days of Gene on Mac Classic OS.

Hope this helps a bit

Alison

hib

Re: Place Listings and Editing

Post by hib » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Alprunty wrote: For instance I have

Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, USA for some instances and Knoxville, Tennessee, USA for some others and Knoxville, Knox, TN, USA for others.

I would like to merge all the location names into Knoxville, Knox County, Tennesse, USA.

It would be nice to be able to scan a listing of ALL locations so that I can quickly edit them. Legacy takes it a step further by allowing us to enter a description of the location and attach pictures to the location. Very handy with Cemeteries.
You may find another option easier. Go to the Events menu, choose Events Places - Find and Replace and type in the Find box "Knoxville, Knox, TN" and in the Replace type "Knoxville, Knox County, Tennesse". Then select the instances in which this shows up in the list below and ask for them to replaced. Make sure that you look on the right side of the list to see what your selected items will turn into by your request. Next, find another "bad name" and convert it.

This approach is very powerful and useful. Enjoy.

Al
Al