Source Repositories

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Lee

Source Repositories

Post by Lee » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:28 am

Hi,
great program. I was really happy with the windows program (brothers keeper) I was using until I tried this one.

One minor thing I miss is the ability to pick a Repository from a list when adding sources.

I will probably just keep a file with a list of Repositories and then cut and paste. But if you could add an option for a drop down list that would be great.

Lee

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:45 am

Hi Lee,

Not too sure what you are after here but iFamily is pretty good for sources afaik.

You can generate a list of defined sources such as 1891 Census, UK Birth records, Family Bible etc to pick from when you have a Source Citation that needs to refer to a specific page in, say, the Family Bible.

So, the Source is set up as the main collection of information and the Citation is the specific reference to that Source.

You can define it to suit your needs and pick when entering.

If you need something not met by that way of working, please expand on your Repository lists.

Nigel

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:53 am

Hi, Nigel
I think iFamily is great with sources also but perhaps I have not explained myself well enough.

When entering a source and I get to the box labeled:
"Location/Repository of source document"
I find that many of these are common to many sources and usually contain several lines of text eg.
name, address, website, contact details etc.
If there was a drop down list from which I could pick a Location/Repository so that it would fill in all these details was what I was trying to request.

Thanks for the interest.

Lee

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:20 am

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the extra info. Much clearer - it is an area I have never filled in for my sources which is why I did not recognise the term.

This is one for Warwick but it sounds like it is a free format field where you would like to have the ability to pick from previous entries.

Do you create these sources in a single go so that you would be able to Copy and paste between entries or is it likely to be a much later session?

Nigel