Ancestors and Descendants timelines

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
favell44

Ancestors and Descendants timelines

Post by favell44 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:20 am

I have in mind timelines for ancestors and descendants with life-spans shown as bars of appropriate length which would be aligned appropriately with the time bar at the top. Only the names and the birth/death dates need be shown.
I would find such charts interesting because of the slippage in dates that occurs between generations. For example I have first cousins once removed who are the same age as me, but in a conventional descendants chart they show up alongside my mother. For a normal chart this is, of course, as it should be as it is very useful for most purposes to see the same generations alongside each other.
I realise the problems that would occur for the programmer where dates are missing. All I can suggest is that where one of the dates is missing the bar could be located appropriately for the known date, with a short bar ending in dots pointing towards the unknown date. Such bars could be in a different colour.
Where neither date is known (and here it gets very interesting for the programmer) the best that could be hoped for would be a single dot, located according to a best guess dependent upon information inferred from spouses, children, parents whose date(s) are known.
I hope it is clear that I don&#39t want something that is a formal display of what is known, but rather a chart that suggests when people lived in relation to one another.
I am interested in what other people think. I don&#39t know whether such things exist in other software, but I&#39m not interested in other software because iFamily is so great.
Money can&#39t buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

n6ac

Ancestors and Descendants timelines - great idea

Post by n6ac » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:18 pm

I too would love to see that!