Depersonalize the HTML has too much information

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
daj

Depersonalize the HTML has too much information

Post by daj » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:39 pm

When generating HTML of the data to include on a web site, I have used the "Depersonalize Living and Recently Dead people". This option allows you to see the structure of the tree and the fact that the person married/had children, etc.

Whereas "Exclude Living People" does not allow you to navigate further so you miss the structure.

The problem I have with "Depersonalize..." is that the HTML filename it generates for the Depseronalized person is the name of that individual. So, even on the chart when it does not show the persons name, when you click on the link it has the name as part of the HTML file in the address bar.

So the question.....Could the generated HTML filename simply have the person&#39s ID and no name?

Example of the problem.....

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi David,

I am aware of this problem, the fix I came up with however (now I look at it again) has excluded the structure of the tree where a depersonalization was requested.

http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=583

I like your idea of retaining the structure and limiting the webpage title to the person index number and will investigate it&#39s feasibility.

Thanks,
Warwick.

daj

Post by daj » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks Warwick.

Maybe the solution could be simply achieved if all HTML files names simply included the ID and not the persons name, even if not using the "Depersonalize" option. I can&#39t think of a reason to have the persons name in the filename at all, but maybe there is one.

Anyway, thanks for replying

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Without the names in the filenames it makes it more difficult for users to search through their output HTML files and locate a particular identity if they wish to edit the information. The pages have greater utility if they are navigable in Finder is all.

ww.

hib

Post by hib » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 am

Warwick Wilson wrote:Without the names in the filenames it makes it more difficult for users to search through their output HTML files and locate a particular identity if they wish to edit the information. The pages have greater utility if they are navigable in Finder is all.

ww.
I think that the value of truly preserving privacy overrides any convenience of the web site owner. I think that using the person&#39s id (iFamily ID) as a replacement for the person&#39s name guarantees uniqueness and is a natural means of finding a correspondence and urge that this be a high priority.

Thanks, Al.
Al