The "Name" field.

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
regan

The "Name" field.

Post by regan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:14 pm

hi there,

on entering a surname incorrectly high up in a tree, I then had to go through all of the branches manually and correct all descendants of that surname by hand.

i was just wondering, is there any reason why the Name field couldn&#39t be separated up into First and Last name? I guess you&#39d also have to have a field for middle name(s).

and then have some sort of function that lets you "flow" that name down the tree via the last name field?

regan

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 am

By Selecting People -> Family Names... from the iFamily Menus, you can search on the name that you have entered incorrectly.

You can then edit the family name directly on the list as shown on the picture below. iFamily will then ask you to verify changing each occurrence of the family name in your database.

regan

Post by regan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:42 am

ah.

that&#39ll save me next time! :roll:

regan

daj

Re: The "Name" field.

Post by daj » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:20 pm

regan wrote:i was just wondering, is there any reason why the Name field couldn&#39t be separated up into First and Last name? I guess you&#39d also have to have a field for middle name(s).
I wondered this too when I first started using iFamily. Previously I was using another piece of software that did split the name up and I was a little surprised when I used iFamily.

It is clearly speculation on my part as I am not the developer, however I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the data model for the Gedcom standard does not split that name up into different fields.

It has not caused me any problems, and as Warwick notes, there is a tool to edit the name as a batch