Portable iFamily

Add your enhancement requests to our ToDo list.
Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:45 pm

Jim wrote:Any plans for portability with iPod or iPhone? Not just for backup or notes but for a real interactive interface. I want to be able to collect info at libraries and courthouses and read it into iFamily when I get home.

Jim
I attended the iPhone global developers conference "Tech Talks" last week and am investigating which functionality of iFamily would be most suitable to the iPhone interface. iFamily will easily port across to the iPhone and that has been done for development purposes, but it still needs to be optimised for the smaller screen which will take an indeterminate amount of time. I can only give you a "Watch this space" on this one.

BKeller500

Post by BKeller500 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:48 am

Warwick Wilson wrote: I can only give you a "Watch this space" on this one.
I will definitely be watching this space for this. This would be a very nice feature.

adrianlambert

Post by adrianlambert » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:58 am

I'll be watching this space too! I'd find this a very useful too to have about my person.

Puppo

Portable iFamily

Post by Puppo » Tue May 26, 2009 7:12 am

It would be great if the iPhone version of iFamily could access the camera, so you could take pictures of your relatives and attach them to the individual. Or, when doing research, you could just take a picture of the document and attach it (add it) to the individual. Maybe even access the GPS to identify locations.

As for the desktop version I would like to see a "slider", like in iPhoto, to adjust the size of the descendant chart. I know I can scroll up and down, left and right, but I would like to see more of the whole image to find an individual or family and then "zoom" down to see detail.

Thanks for your work, looking forward to all the possibilities!

daj

Post by daj » Tue May 26, 2009 4:26 pm

I wonder if the iFamily "community" could develop this?

I&#39m very keen for get this. I was a user of another product and loved the iPhone app as it was so handy to have with you all the time.

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Tue May 26, 2009 11:59 pm

Thanks Puppo and daj, I appreciate your encouragements.

The new desktop release of iFamily is nearly ready, a couple of users have tested it for me and I have a little more learning to do yet. Once I have that launched I can turn to other pursuits such as iFamily for iPhone.

The iPhone 3.0 OS has enabled many features that were lacking in the original SDK (such as Landscape, cut and paste). An recent informative article about the changes in the expected new apple iPhone hardware is available here. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/iphonerumors

Keith had developed an iFamily viewer for the iPhone by relying on the HTML output. If you export your tree to HTML, then host it on your own domain, (or somewhere such as mobileme), you are able to view your entire database on an iPhone already. All diagrams have hyperlinks enabled on each identity, and the links to Google Maps for the places names work also. I understand this will not work for everyone as uploading 1000 files can be a nuisance with some services.

An example of how this looks, (when the HTML output is set to iPhone defaults), is available at http://www.ifamilyforleopard.com/iPhone. For the interim this iPhone safari viewer option will have to suffice.

daj

Post by daj » Wed May 27, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks Warwick

I think the big plus to having a native apps is the you do not need to rely on an internet connection to view your data. Of course, on the other hand most of the time your iphone does have a data singnal or access to public wireless so it&#39s not a massive issue. More a nice to have

I might experiment a little with the iPhone as I see the database for iFamily is SQLlite and I may be able to work out enough of the schema to produce an app on the phone for offline reading. I would not begin to allow it to update the data.

Anyway, if I find some spare time I might give it a go!! (Spare time seems so rare these days) LOL

jsulcer

iPhone

Post by jsulcer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:36 pm

I see both "Reunion" and "MacFamily" genealogy software programs have an iPhone app. How long before iFamily gets one?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

namtlar

Post by namtlar » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:53 pm

I&#39d love to see the mobile app as well, but there might be a conflict in the naming as there is already an iFamily app for the iPhone.

favell44

Post by favell44 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:04 am

The iPad may well prove to be the ideal portable medium for iFamily. The screen will be big enough to view iFamily in much the same way as on my 12" iBook, although I wouldn&#39t try to show too many generations of ancestors at once!
I hope that the work that has already been done on iFamily for the iPhone will prove to be useful for the iPad.
Meanwhile I appreciate the continuing existence of the wonderful iFamily software.
Money can&#39t buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

jdrescher

Re: Portable iFamily

Post by jdrescher » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:53 pm

Puppo wrote:It would be great if the iPhone version of iFamily could access the camera, so you could take pictures of your relatives and attach them to the individual. Or, when doing research, you could just take a picture of the document and attach it (add it) to the individual. Maybe even access the GPS to identify locations.

As for the desktop version I would like to see a "slider", like in iPhoto, to adjust the size of the descendant chart. I know I can scroll up and down, left and right, but I would like to see more of the whole image to find an individual or family and then "zoom" down to see detail.

Thanks for your work, looking forward to all the possibilities
I don&#39t know if you are aware but the iPhone has an App called Scan2PDF that allows the iphone to take a picture of Documents and pictures and save them as PDF&#39s. You can also email them to yourself or others. This then makes a way to capture information and pictures of people to put in iFamily.

Jim Drescher :lol:

SaxonX

iPhone progress

Post by SaxonX » Wed May 05, 2010 9:48 am

Hi

Any progress on the release of an iPhone app?

Regards

Keith

favell44

Re: iPhone

Post by favell44 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:00 am

jsulcer wrote:I see both "Reunion" and "MacFamily" genealogy software programs have an iPhone app. How long before iFamily gets one?
And I see today that MacFamily is about to have a version for the iPad. I love iFamily and have never regretted giving up MacFamilyTree but it is becoming ever more frustrating that we are falling badly behind in an area of high demand (or so it appears).
Money can&#39t buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

bauschaffender

Post by bauschaffender » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Why Warwick should invent a new app for the iPhone? Could be possible to use the existing gedview app (http://www.ritter.demon.co.uk/Projects/gedview.html) and a synchronizing possibility to iFamily (automatically import or export)?

I test the gedview app now and it&#39s easy to use. Also it is possible to edit all dates or insert new one ... O.k. it looks different, but the only missing thing (at the moment) is the sync function.

Regards from Germany

amsnz

iPhone

Post by amsnz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Looking forward to the app when it comes out .. good things take time ...

Keep up the grand work :D

bat069

Post by bat069 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:29 am

Hi,

I am thinking about buying an iPad and was wondering if getting iFamily on to it had progressed?

Thanks for any update.

Brian

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:41 am

Thanks for the query. No progress to report at this time, our top priority remains focussed on getting the desktop version in the Desktop App store first. (Early next year hopefully). Supporting two products would detract from the current overall level of service we can provide.

There is talk in the developer community about an expected 'Merge' between OSX and iOS within a couple of years. So as long as we keep up with OSX, this portable transition may occur before too long regardless.

There are some suggestions above for some useful genealogy iPad apps, feel welcome to post any others that are worth their salt. (and of course those not directly competing wtih our desktop product.).

Hosting HTML webpages generated with iFamily is still the easiest method of viewing your iFamily data statically on the iPad, with Safari.

KatiMahaki

Post by KatiMahaki » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:46 am

Has there been any progress on iFamily for iPad

padua

Post by padua » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:03 pm

I too would be wonderful to have iFamily on my iPad or iPhone The screen on iPad would be ideal for transporting and posting more data on one's travels - Is this in the 'pipeline' or on a back burner :(