iFamily for Leopard on an iPad2

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
Melissa

iFamily for Leopard on an iPad2

Post by Melissa » Sun May 29, 2011 5:27 am

Hi Warwick,

Is there anyway i can load my iFamily for Leopard family tree and all supporting pictures and documents on an iPad 2?

Thanks Melissa

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sun May 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi Melissa,

I haven't tried, but I was told there is a program for an iPhone which can transfer across a set of files to that device, I assume the iPad is similar. For the iPhone the program was called Air Share. (from memory).

Using the menu function Web->Generate HTML... will produce a set of webpages, which can then be copied across using the above program (Air Share, if it exists.) or something similar.

Does anyone else have workable solutions on this one? Someone mentioned that PDF's can be moved across to the iPad easily too.

Warwick

Melissa

MacBook

Post by Melissa » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:05 am

Hi Warwick, After getting your reply and making many inquiries both on the Apple help line and at the Mac store in Chatswood, it would seem that I cannot transfer iFamily and all my pictures and documents over to an iPad - if it can be done, no one knows how. So I have abandoned the idea of an iPad and have decided instead to acquire a MacBook.

Can you please tell me the best way to copy my whole iFamilyfor Leopard onto my MacBook as well as the supporting pictures and documents.

Can you please also tell me if there is a way I can link the two so any changes I make to the tree on the one machine, say my MacBook will automatically be made to the other, say my Mac desk top?

thanks for your help
Melissa

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 am

Hi,

The App Warwick referred to is Air Sharing which does allow data to be transferred but is not very quick with lots of files in folders - it wanted to take 3 hours for one family tree (the sample royal one).

You can copy via the link cable and iTunes but not folders of files - just files.

Dropbox will allow files to be held on home machine and iPad but in my testing it did not work very well with the links. I guess the inbuilt browser if not fully functional.

iDisk is another way to have access to data but I have not tried this yet.

Clearly, you need a MobileMe account and this is coming to an end with the introduction of iCloud, Lion and iOS5. I would expect there to be something in iCloud that would help syncing files between devices but probably more work to do.

And it only works with Lion and that only runs on IntelCore2Duo only so it will not be for everyone.

Nigel

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:34 am

NigelRichman wrote:..only runs on IntelCore2Duo..
Clarification "Core2Duo or later" .. ie: not for the older tiger machines but anything from the past 3 years should be ok. The root of this requirement is that Lion is natively a 64 bit platform and will not run on 32 bit processors.

I will need to recode iFamilys mobileMe functionality to iCloud, (pity, I'd just made some fixes for my next version), I can make FLAT HTML an option if you need all the files in one folder.

Melissa, please send me an email if you want to pursue the Macbook idea, I will need to write back instructions for transferring your app over. (iFamily will not sync your files automatically, but I may code a feature in future to make keeping multiple macs in sync a less of a manual process.).

Also, there is a new feature in Lion called Airdrop which specifically allows you to transfer files between your devices. I am stilll waiting for a usb port on the iPad before commencing a native app.
Last edited by Warwick Wilson on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Melissa

Macbook

Post by Melissa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:49 am

Hi Warwick,

Thanks for all your trouble with this. I have now spent hours literally on the help line with Apple and there was apparently only one option - to copy over my entire desktop Apple to my mac book laptop and then they have said I should go through and delete what I don't want - well - that is a huge task and one that I will probably never get round to. So now I have a complete copy on my MacBook of everything - iFamily for Leopard included.

The thing that is a problem now is that when I amend the tree or add to it on the one computer I am going to have to remember to do it on the other - is there anyway on the iCloud or wirelessly that I can reach a stage of synching my iFamily from my one compute to the other - in other words synching the most recent updates, but in iFamily only?

I am about to embark on a trip to visit family abroad which was my driving need to have a portable version of my tree - but i know what will happen - as I go along and make changes I am going to have to keep a list manually so I remember to make the same changes back on my desktop - HELP this is going to be a nightmare on an ongoing basis!!!

Thanks
Melissa

Pewterpot

Post by Pewterpot » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:37 am

Wouldn't SuperDuper copy from one machine to another if they were networked?

Might be worth having a look at http://shirtpocket.com/
20" iMac G5.
OSX 10.6.8

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Melissa

Post by Melissa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Pewterpot,

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't really know that software, SuperDuper. I will have to Google it and se whether it might fit. In reality what we really need is for iFamily to be upgraded to suit iCloud when it is released