Applying a Single Source to Multiple Events

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
phrankx

Applying a Single Source to Multiple Events

Post by phrankx » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:21 pm

In many instances, I have a single source, including the page reference, that provides key information on several events - e.g. a page in a book provides data on birth, marriage and death of a person.
Normally, I enter the source individually for each event.
However, it would certainly speed up the process if I could enter the source and then apply it to each of the applicable events in one process.
Any ideas, or is this more suited to 'Enhancement Requests"?
Thanks,
Frank
Frank X M

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Frank,

Some sources citations can be made the Active one and then Cloned into other events. I use this for Census entries for the family members listed.

Warwick has said in another thread that the is going to extend the source types from the limited set currently available.

Maybe this will be what you want.

Nigel

phrankx

Multiple events for a single source

Post by phrankx » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Nigel, thanks for your response. However, I am looking for the 'easy way forward'! :D
It would be nice (convenient saying) to be able to enter/activate a single source and then apply it to multiple events without having to go back to the persons events, select the event, add the source and then go to next event and add the same source (with same page for example) and then next event and so on.
Best example I can give is a page in a book that gives multiple inputs for events - e.g. it identifies date of birth, date of marriage, date of death. The only way I know to enter this is to add the source and make it the active one, then go to each event and add the active source in individual actions. Guess I am looking for something simpler. The program at least keeps the same page number in this process to help somewhat with the simplification.
Thanks again,
Frank
Frank X M

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Warwick Wilson » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi Frank,

Have a read of the following missing manual thread on sources and let me know if it helps.

http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=674

The third post down about activating a source may do what you need, by Activating a source it will be added automatically with each new event. Useful for entering successive names from a single source document.

Warwick.

phrankx

Multiple Events for a Single Source

Post by phrankx » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:22 pm

Warwick Wilson wrote:Hi Frank,

Have a read of the following missing manual thread on sources and let me know if it helps.

http://ifamilyforleopard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=674

The third post down about activating a source may do what you need, by Activating a source it will be added automatically with each new event. Useful for entering successive names from a single source document.

Warwick.
Many thanks Warwick,
I did look the thread you talked about and have been using it a lot. It does not actually address my issue but I have found a workaround.
As noted, by making the subject source the active one, each time I choose an event in a person, the active one comes up for me with the ref page already inserted. It still requires going through each event individually but it is faster.
I was looking to enter a source and then, in one operation, apply that source to multiple events for a person. Example, when you find a page(s) in a book that provide birth, death and marriage for a particular person, one would enter the source with page reference and then apply it to all the events from the source(if that makes sense :() In any case, I still love the iFamily program. It still outshines the ridiculous FTM for MAC!!!!
Regards,
Frank
Frank X M