adding page refs to a source

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
pmbeddall

adding page refs to a source

Post by pmbeddall » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Maybe I'm not understanding how sources work but here is my problem.

I have a source for keeping track of index references in the FreeBMD web site. I have separate sources for births, marriages and deaths. I have an ancestor who was married twice. I entered a page ref for her first marriage in 1846. I don't know how to enter a page ref for that person for her second marriage in 1851. I tried a number of things but am not getting anywhere. Usually I just end up replacing the first marriage reference with the second. I have browsed the forum looking for clues but have not found any. Can anyone help?

Thanks

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi,

If I am reading you correctly then the problem does lie in the way you are using Sources.

Under the Add/Edit sources menu you will find the area where you can enter the sources of each type.

I have on for each Census year (here in the UK), one for Marriage Certificate, one for Birth Certificates etc.  

The Source definition does not include any specifics about an individual - only the details of the source (could be Family Bible as well is appropriate).

When you enter an event that needs a Source Citation you click on the right hand most column of the event and it will pop up the sources defined so that you can select one.  It is in this citation that you enter the details of the actual reference (page number, date, volume etc) for that individual.

This way, you have a Source (e.g. Marriage records) and can have a Citation (reference) to the relevant entry in the registers (Parish, volume, quarter - whatever is appropriate).

I hope that helps - if not provide some more details of what you are doing if i have mis-interpreted what you were saying.

Regards,

Nigel

pmbeddall

Post by pmbeddall » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks Nigel.

You've given me some clues that have enabled me to do what I want. Am I right in saying that you can't have more than one reference to a given source without going through events? That is what I was trying to do and I was getting nowhere.

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 am

Hi,

A Source Citation (a specific Sourced reference) is associated with an event.  I have not been able to thing of a source reference that would not be related to an event.

A Source could be the GRO Birth Certificates register and a Source Citation would be for the Birth of A. Relative on a specific date - the Birth Event.

Do you have anything in mind that might not be linked to an Event?

Nigel

pmbeddall

Post by pmbeddall » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:00 pm

No, I agree completely. I was just hoping to be able to enter source citations a little more directly but the way the software forces you to do it is completely logical.