How do I send a diagram to a friend via email?

Frequently asked questions have been answered here
Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Post by Keith Wilson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:50 pm

One way way to send a diagram of a person's Descendants to someone else via email is as follows:

1. Make the person the focal person of the context diagram.

2. Click on the Descendants button on the toolbar

3. Select the Horizontal option.

4. Set the generations stepper to (say) 7 generations and make the font size (say) 10 point.

5. Press the Page Setup button and define a Custom Page size that is 24 inches (60 cm) wide and 6 feet (2 metres) long. Give it a name like 24 inch Roll

6. Select the 24 inch Roll, select Portrait and then Close the Page setup dialog.

7. Turn on Show Page Layout and check that it all fits nicely on the page.

8. Press the Print button and select PDF - Save as PDF.

9. Email the PDF file to your friend who can then view it using Adobe Reader (Mac or PC)

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

Originally posted by BillyBob152

I just take a screenshot of the diagram which appears above the focal person at a size that will fit a 7.5 -inch-width sheet of paper. Then I make a PDF of that screenshot and send it on via e-mail.

Is that what you are looking for?

I also include the diagram at various points in the ancestor/descendant report when appropriate.

iFamily for Tiger is an excellent program.

Keith Wilson
Site Admin

In V2.292 we made some changes a follows:

Ancestors and Descendants Diagrams

You no longer need to create a special page size in Page Setup. You simply press the Save As PDF button at the bottom of the Ancestors/Descendants diagram and iFamily will automatically work out the appropriate page size for you.

Context Diagram

When you use the Print button on the Toolbar you get an option to print the whole window (as a PDF) or just the top half (as a JPEG).

Keith