"Wife of" addition ever solved?

If you are having difficulty using iFamily for Leopard.
eg: "How do I change someone's sex after they are married?
cosfordparker

"Wife of" addition ever solved?

Post by cosfordparker » Wed May 30, 2018 3:44 am

I found some 2011/2012 posts about the automatic addition of nameless wives in the family DB. Was this ever resolved or a work-around developed? I now have a DB with lots of "wife of" that have screwed up my numbering system. This is probably a deal killer because that numbering system is the basis of my organization system. Thanks - Sali

NigelRichman

Re: "Wife of" addition ever solved?

Post by NigelRichman » Wed May 30, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi Sali,

Not sure I know of this issue - not been affected by it as far as I know.

Can you post a link to some of the old posts as I could not find one in my search?

Thanks

Nigel

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Thu May 31, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi Sali,

Carried out a search on my laptop rather than the phone and found a link to a thread on the "Wife of" topic.

It seems from Warwick's comment and investigation that the problem arises from an import of a GEDCOM file that has a null entry for an individual listed as a spouse in the FAM/FAMS structure.

If you are having the same issue then it is likely that the problem was not fixed if the cause of the issue is from a similar .ged file.

Am I right in assuming that this has come from an import rather than adding people manually?

If so, you may be able to modify the gedcom file or delete the created wives from within iFamilyforMac using one of the search tools.

Hope that helps

Nigel

cosfordparker

Post by cosfordparker » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:09 am

Hi, Nigel -

Thanks for responding and the suggestions. I'll look into modifying my GEDCOM (yes, this was an import), but I'd like to manage the DB within iFamily. I'll likely be importing and exporting a number of GEDCOMs.

In the spirit of continuing to exhibit my ignorance - where are the search functions in iFamily? I see "Find," but the associated functions are always greyed out.

:roll: --Sali

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi Sali,

At the top right hand corner there is a search box for Names & Titles which may be able to find entries which contain "Wife of"

Alternatively, you can go to Events menu and select "Event Names" - that might work although I believe the current release is broken in some of these searches.

Hope that helps,

Nigel

cosfordparker

Post by cosfordparker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:47 am

Thanks, Nigel -

Found the Search box and produced "wife of" and "husband of" lists, but I'm not able to do anything with them. I can't find a command that allows me to delete them individually or in a group from the list.

I can delete the "of's" individually, of course, but it's a multi-step process and I have more than a hundred to do. Guess I'm looking for a global option.

Is there an iFamily user guide that would answer questions like this?

Thank you for your help! -- Sali

NigelRichman

Post by NigelRichman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:36 am

Hi Sali,

If you have hundreds of ‘Wife of’ then I would suggest that the .ged file would be easier to edit. Unless Warwick can offer a better option.

As for the manual, there are many topics in the FAQ section of the forum as well as the Missing Manual one.

Also, on the main iFamilyfomac site there is a tutorial section.

Currently it is on this link but that may change as the site migration completes.
http://ifamilyformac.ap-southeast-2.ela ... tutorials/

Cheers

Nigel
Last edited by NigelRichman on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosfordparker

Post by cosfordparker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Thank you, Sir!