The Updates are not working

In the interests of transparency
Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

The Updates are not working

Post by Warwick Wilson » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:38 am

Earlier in 2018 I had to rebuild the iFamily website on a new web host when the old one fell in a heap.

The good news is that I chose AWS, which while it is more expensive that a local Australian option, it will deliver (magnitudes) better performance to iFamily users in North America and Europe.

One thing that AWS does not do easily is FTP Servers, they are an older technology which was popular in the nineties and noughties but have become less than popular in the tech world and most businesses have permanently decommissioned their FTP due to their insecurities. (The servers not the people).

The update checks from within iFamily, (the ones that occur every 30 days), are checking for a file on the old FTP server we used to host. The error shown that your "internet may not be working", is akin to having knocked on the front door of a house which has been demolished, there's simply nothing to connect with in the background.

I will be using a more modern method within the the next release, building an API which will include a basic version checking portal. This will replace the current method and I will do my best to communicate this to all users of iFamily in advance. (Although, I would hate to run afoul of the new privacy laws in Europe, I will tread carefully on that one. I may also consider briefly resurrecting the old update server to capture as many current users as possible.).

Thanks for reading,
Warwick.
iFamily_updates_ErrSite.png
iFamily_updates_ErrSite.png (46.06 KiB) Viewed 27201 times
iFamily_updates_cnxnErr.png
iFamily_updates_cnxnErr.png (58.85 KiB) Viewed 27201 times

Warwick Wilson
Site Admin

Re: The Updates are working, in the new version.

Post by Warwick Wilson » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:18 pm

The Update facility has been replaced in V2.9.7 with a new method. Please upgrade manually then everything will work as expected once more.

msmith17

Re: The Updates are not working

Post by msmith17 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:01 pm

So, how do I update manually?

I tried to figure this out on the website but:

On http://ifamilyformac.ap-southeast-2.ela ... dating.php
the "How do I upgrade" button fails

On http://ifamilyformac.ap-southeast-2.ela ... m/support/
the 'More info' button fails.

NigelRichman

Re: The Updates are not working

Post by NigelRichman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi

Go to the Members area of the Forum and you will find the link to version 2.9.7.

There are a few snags with it at the moment and Warwick is busy coding a revised version which should be available very soon.

Regards

Nigel